Cubo 15

More
11 years 3 months ago #20101 by anjmoor
Replied by anjmoor on topic Re: Cubo 15
I use Eminence Delta 15 LF's 500 watt in mine and power them with a 1300 watt amp and the things dont really work that hard to be honest, My Cubos were put to the test the other weekend at a private party and they provided all the bass you could need, I actually backed them off a little on the crossover.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #20107 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Re: Cubo15

I´m about to build one cubo 15 for a RCF L15P/200 15" that i have left over.
Should i build the regular or extended and should the magnet be inside the box?

Not sure if the L15P200 is the Kapton less predecessor of the L15P200AK or an other driver with just 300 Wrms powerhandling, do you have any clues on that?

Regardless, I'd say Cubo Extended, with the magnet inside the horn as a starting point, sounds good to me.

Hey, anyone tried a PD.158. Will this driver work well?

These kind of drivers, though originally intended as midd bass drivers in a top cabinet, are exactly what I would use in a Cubo 15 Extended, with amplifiers up to 500 - 600 W and a decent high pass.

Woofer like this:

If those parameters are true, that''s a very good price/ weight/ performance ratio for up to ~200 - 250 W amplifiers. Personally I would combine that (in a Cubo 15 Extended) with any 8"/ 10" / 12"-and-something cabinet, claiming to be a 1000 Watt peak (but in reality more like a 80 -125 Wrms) costing around 150 - 350 dkk.

Best regards

Cubo

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #20114 by cjm1504
Replied by cjm1504 on topic Re: Cubo 15
Well, a week late is better than nothing :)

Random thing though I can't make attachments from my computer... Think it has to do with the fact it is running linux. So I guess an Imgur.com album is the best I can do.

imgur.com/a/J97Jf

Long story short I have learned a f' ton from my first speaker build :)

A handful of problems. Like the table saw that we bought for this project is having an issue... Darn blade is 1/16 of an inch cockeyed. We were able to make all of our cuts with a skill saw and jig saw though.

For the making of the baffle a few problems were encountered. First we didn't have a proper router circle jig but were able to ghetto rig something to get the 14 inch hole we needed for the JBL 2226H.

Need to figure out a better way to mount the actual driver to the baffle. We tried to use T-Nuts but ran into them being to big, not allowing for them to hold on to enough wood. For testing we ended up just using wood screws. After a few songs of heavy testing the driver would start to loosen up and make a great noise flapping noise :P

All in all this has been a great experience. I plan on building 4 out of some real wood. Need to solve the driver mounting problem.

One thing though is I might use a different driver than the 2226H and use the 2226H's for some tops. (2226Hs seemed to need a 24dB LR HPF @ 40Hz to stay safe at high SPL)

Now for the best story about this build. Yesterday we got this puppy fired up and well, damn. I played one of my favorite 'impress the client tracks'.

Wait for the bass sweep around 1:00. This seemed to have, umm angered the neighbor a little. Just after our first test at full volume he came over face red as a sports car. Yelling and cussing up a storm. Kept talking about how we interrupted his watching of some baseball game... Mind you it was 5:25pm We were very apologetic and tried to get him to see how awesome it was that we just built this thing. But, sadly he just did not give two fucks and just kept clenching his fist and yelling about calling the cops. We never raised out voice or anything like that... The cops were never called but he did give us a great idea, lets move to the baseball fields :)

When we were out at the baseball fields it became very apparent that we are going to need a few more of these puppies :) But got what we expected from it. We had just enough daylight to try the driver in both orientations. Firing into the enclosure is the way to go IMO.

Question: Do any of you guys have a Hornsrep file I can plug the 2226H TS numbers into so I can see what my excursion is, want to get the HPF at a safe value... Would hate to blow up at 2226H :(

edit: Just noticed I didn't get a picture of the horn support brace thing in the box. FYI it is in there :)
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by cjm1504. Reason: Oops

More
11 years 3 months ago #20115 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Cubo 15
Were the T Nuts too long or something? Unless they were longer than the thickness of the wood, they should work ok. I use a clamp too mash them in if the baffle is already attached to the box, but the best way is to hammer them in before assembly. I also usually put a little epoxy on the inside of the flange before mashing it into the baffle.

More
11 years 3 months ago #20116 by cjm1504
Basically we didn't have a drill bit the proper size. it was like 1/32 smaller and when we tried to push them in it would pop the MDF on the driver hole side of the T-Nut

More
11 years 3 months ago #20121 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Cubo 15
Oh. At least the right bit should be really cheap. Obviously the wood screws are not going to work.

More
11 years 3 months ago #20122 by cjm1504
Thanks for the advice :)

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #20137 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Re: Cubo 15
I usually use a bolt to pull in the t-nuts, with on the opposite side 2 washers (before the baffle is mounted). Those washers prevent any damage and make sure the t-nuts are mounted as straight as possible.

Btw. What is that extra piece on the front of the baffle for?

Best regards Johan
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Cubo15.

More
11 years 3 months ago #20154 by cjm1504
Cubo,

Thanks for the advice on the washer trick, should be making use of it next Sunday :)

Today I went down and had the local wood shop cut up 2 Cubo 15's and 2 Cubo 18's. Amazing how fast it got cut compared to our time with the prototype. 1.5 hours later we were heading back to the house.

The extra piece is supposed to be on the other side, I think at least... When we were building it made more sense to do it like that, "Better support of the baffle". I am pretty sure that is what should be used to mount a grill to. Am I correct?

Will be posting some more pictures soon.

More
11 years 3 months ago #20156 by Lofobia
Replied by Lofobia on topic Re: Cubo15

Cubo15 wrote:

I´m about to build one cubo 15 for a RCF L15P/200 15" that i have left over.
Should i build the regular or extended and should the magnet be inside the box?

Not sure if the L15P200 is the Kapton less predecessor of the L15P200AK or an other driver with just 300 Wrms powerhandling, do you have any clues on that?

Regardless, I'd say Cubo Extended, with the magnet inside the horn as a starting point, sounds good to me.

Thanks for the answer mr. cubo :)
I think the L15P/200 is the older version and the AK version is the replacement woofer in the series.
Will try to build the extended then and use it with one pair of 15" fullrange :)

Time to create page: 0.348 seconds