Cubo 15

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #20041 by cjm1504
Replied by cjm1504 on topic Re: Cubo 15
Has anyone made this using 3/4 MDF? I know that MDF is not optimal but this is going to be my first build so I am looking for a cheap way to learn from my mistakes.

The real question is how much is the change from 18mm to 3/4 inch going to complicate the build? I have read this whole thread but didn't find anything along the lines of imperial based cut sheets.

A few days ago I tried sending an email to the email listed on the plan page. It came back with an error, noticed a typo in the address on the site. But have not heard back yet :(

Cubo, If you could send me the imperial measurements that would be great :)
cjm1504@gmail.com

Anyone do a build with 3/4in? What problems did you run into???
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by cjm1504.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #20042 by t.geessounds
Replied by t.geessounds on topic Re: Cubo 15
3/4" is more or less 18mm

More
11 years 3 months ago #20043 by Dref
Replied by Dref on topic Re: Cubo 15
Mostly more as it is almost exactly 19mm ;) which is a very common thickness for MDF.

But 19mm should be fine. 18mm ply easily becomes 19mm in damp conditions anyway. :huh:

More
11 years 3 months ago #20044 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Cubo 15
MDF should be fine, but paint the crap out of it and maybe don't stand on it, as the joints will be a little weaker. Don't get it wet. Should be fine. Having built with both MDF and Birch, I would spend the extra for the Birch for the added longevity of the box and the slightly less carcinogenic sawdust.

More
11 years 3 months ago #20047 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Re: Cubo 15
I think I just have send you plan, if not, let me know. The Imperial plan assumes a 19.05 mm thickness.

Best regards

Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: cjm1504

More
11 years 3 months ago #20048 by cjm1504
Replied by cjm1504 on topic Re: Cubo 15
@Cubo15 Thank you for your fast response!! Very excited for this weekend now :)

@bgrade This will be my first build! So I figured 2 sheets of MDF for less than the price of 1 sheet of baltic would allow for some cheap education on wood working :)

Right now I have 4 2226h's sitting around collecting dust :(

I am going to build 2 extended Cubo 15's and then two tops.

A few months ago I came across www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=141.0

Looks pretty promising :)

Hope to have some build pictures posted by Monday night.

Keep on keepin on.

-CJ

More
11 years 3 months ago #20070 by Lofobia
Replied by Lofobia on topic Cubo15
I´m about to build one cubo 15 for a RCF L15P/200 15" that i have left over.
Should i build the regular or extended and should the magnet be inside the box?

More
11 years 3 months ago #20072 by baekmark
Replied by baekmark on topic Cubo15
Hi there,

My son is going to the Roskilde Festival this year, and somehow I got involved in that!

The plan is to build a system that will be mounted on a handcart, and the size of two Cubo 15 will be just nice. But I need to know, will it work.

The plan is to use the Cubo 15 as Bas, and use a horn for the rest, but will it work.

Please note that "we" need to keep the cost low.

Woofer like this: elektronik-lavpris.dk/p97779/BN204525_Ke...4-72_4_Ohm,_300Watt/
and a horn with: elektronik-lavpris.dk/p49870/S902388_Horn_Flare_/
Driver: elektronik-lavpris.dk/p97891/BN204345_Mc...x._BN203441BN203442/

As the Driver is of the Piezo type, I might not need any filter, but can make a direct connection.
Both woofer and driver has a very high SPL, and all of this has to be fead by an 12V Auto battery! My plan was to use a small "D" type amp like this: 12-v.dk/festivalanlaeg/63-forstaerkermodul-4x50w-tda7850.html

The cabinet will be made in plywood, as the MDF type is more sensitive to moisture!

That's the plan!

Thanx in advance

Lars Bækmark

More
11 years 3 months ago #20073 by Dref
Replied by Dref on topic Re: Cubo 15
Hej Lars

No that will not work. You will have a very huge gab in the response in the all important midrange region
You will need something to cover the region from a little above 100Hz to 3,5KHz. Also the 15" driver is not that suited as a subwoofer, but it might be okay because of the low wattage.
If you want to carry on this route I suggest you ad some midrange drivers to the equation. After all it is a 4 channel amp.
But to be honest you will probably be better of buying some used PA speakers and then drive them with the amp.
Sometimes something comes op in "Den Blå Avis" or "Gul & Gratis" in the same price range as the drivers you intent to buy, but with a much better performance.

Best Regards
Steffen

More
11 years 3 months ago #20100 by subandy
Replied by subandy on topic Cubo15
Hey, anyone tried a PD.158 ( www.precision-devices.com/Product-Details/PD158 )? Will this driver work well?

andy

Time to create page: 0.302 seconds