Cubo 15

More
11 years 5 months ago #19823 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Re: Cubo 15
Hello Sir,

A 45 degree panel that is as effective as the two triangular bracings has to be quite large meaning quite a large volume is excluded from use by the horn, resulting in degradation of the performance to a certain degree. Less horn volume = less performance.

If you look at it from a reflex perspective, you've decreased the port area over a partial length. As you might recall, decreasing port area, all else equal, lowers the tuning as well as lowering efficiency.

Best regards

Cubo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #19824 by jrock7
Replied by jrock7 on topic Re: Cubo 15
Ok I understand that Mr. Cubo, it would replace the triangular brace but not that large amount of space , meaning a 5 to 7 inches 45degree brace straight across, which wouldnt take up the volume of the horn that much.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #19827 by Cubo15
So then your question essentially becomes, what will happen if you put less effective bracing in?!

I suppose performance will detoriate to a certain degree or will somehow prove to be just as effective.

Best regards

Cubo
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Cubo15.

More
11 years 4 months ago #20022 by Campino Morten
Replied by Campino Morten on topic Re: Cubo 15
Hi.

I'm going to build two Cubo15's during the next month. The primary use for them, will be to play all genres of music outdoors.
I'm going for 4 ohm speakers, to keep the impedance down. Would these do well, or are there better alternatives in that price range?
And do you recommend the normal or the extended version?

Looking forward to your answer. :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #20023 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Cubo 15
I think the Kappa 15 LFA would be better, if you have to go American series Eminence, as it is meant for sub duty, but it is 8 ohms. The Kappa 15C only has 2.4 MM Xmax, so I don't think you could push very hard before problems occur.

Not trying to speak for Cubo though. He will have better advice, I imagine.

More
11 years 4 months ago #20024 by Campino Morten
Replied by Campino Morten on topic Re: Cubo 15

bgrade wrote: I think the Kappa 15 LFA would be better, if you have to go American series Eminence, as it is meant for sub duty, but it is 8 ohms. The Kappa 15C only has 2.4 MM Xmax, so I don't think you could push very hard before problems occur.

Not trying to speak for Cubo though. He will have better advice, I imagine.

All advice is appreciated.
I have been told by my audio-guru, that it is not a problem. He says that it is more important for a sub, that xlim is higher and fs lower on the Kappa 15C, than it is on the Kappa 15LFA.

More
11 years 4 months ago #20025 by mikenice
Replied by mikenice on topic Cubo15
Hello Im loving the design of this sub. I was wondering if i could have a copy of the design.

More
11 years 4 months ago #20026 by Campino Morten
Replied by Campino Morten on topic Re: Cubo15

mikenice wrote: Hello Im loving the design of this sub. I was wondering if i could have a copy of the design.

You can download the plans from the download section. :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #20027 by Cubo15

I'm going to build two Cubo15's during the next month. The primary use for them, will be to play all genres of music outdoors.

I would side with bgrade on this one. The theoretical advantage of double the Xmax is 6 dB more output from the same enclosure. As the 15LF will handle 500 - 600 Watt mechanically, the 15C will run out of steam, well before that.

He says that it is more important for a sub, that xlim is higher and fs lower on the Kappa 15C, than it is on the Kappa 15LFA

The difference in Xlim in this case is to small to give a noticeable difference and could be considered a second priority (it's the equivalent of how fast you could drive a car before it brakes down permanently). The first priority is to have a sufficient Xmax (which is the equivalent of how fast you could drive a car continously for many years).

The Fs in this case (hybride tapped horn), is not as important as in traditional design. In fact it could be a litlle bit higher and still offer the same lower cut off (35 - 40 Hz).

You can download the plans from the download section

Personally I ussually download them from the plan section, right click, save as (tho that has been a while ).

Best regards

Cubo

More
11 years 4 months ago #20029 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic Re: Cubo 15
The Kappa 15LFA has a proven track record in this cab and I have a pair of Cubo's with them loaded and they are great, I've been using them for 4 years or so and they are still working well. I have also built 2 cabs with Delta Pro 18A's but, the best cabs I have are a pair of Cubo's with the PDN15.SB40's and these are outstanding. Unfortunately, I can't get hold of these drivers at the minute due to the current price of Neo magnets. Precision Devices are reluctant to produce them in small numbers? I would have built another six cabs by now? Thanks again Mr Cubo for one of the best designs in years. Cheers Cozy :)

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds