CD v Vinyl

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #7069 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic CD v Vinyl
Deja Ibiza (Jimmy) on the otherside activly says no to laptops in his clubs.
I recently saw a famous (ish) cock ruin a lovely sound system (and his excellently re-mixed tunes) by using MP3's, horrid. Then to cap it off he forgot to plug his Mac in and the battery wend dead mid set, DOH! Too much attention to the label on his boxers allighning with the seam on his jeans me thinks.
Everybody is a fu**ing DJ.

Quote, mid 90's. "DJing is finished, they'll be selling Fisher Price DJ kit in Currys before you know it" Martin Horne, West London.

Club clasics night here on NYE. Me and the missus and loads of vinyl in the local pub. Taking a big stick to hit the kids with ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #7070 by bee
Replied by bee on topic CD v Vinyl
sure to be a wicked nye for you smiley20 , dont get me wrong i love to use vinyl out smiley27 , and as quoted the problem with laptop djing is...... its a laptop smiley13 . Yes it is up to us to play wav files etc instead of poor mp3's but you try and buy tracks on line in wav format. If i could get everything in .wav i would. For everyday djing liquids, oceanas etc laptops are the way to go. But if im booked for a percific set i.e. old skool house etc out comes the vinyl. As for laptops going down not plugged in, it goes back to most dj's cant even setup a basic system, cant use a mixer etc. Education is what is needed. Any up and coming dj's reading this, just ask questions learn and become a dj not a jukebox.......... smiley33

I need to get one of those big sticks.... smiley36

More
14 years 8 months ago #7071 by tendril
Replied by tendril on topic CD v Vinyl

bee wrote:
I need to get one of those big sticks.... smiley36

one of these is what you want:

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #7072 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic CD v Vinyl

tendril wrote: I have an intellectual affinity to vinyl over cd. It is a more faithful reproduction of the waveform. In the case of records pressed before any digital studios existed it really is as though you are hearing an echo of the original musical rendition. This is especially important to me for old vocal records.

If one wanted to make a copy of a piece of contoured wood we could use one of these:

which is essentially digital. The ends of the individual rods are flat.

The other way we could do this is to use a scribe and copy the contour like this:

Wonderful!
Life is not digital, nor is it HD, it's analogue.

From a distance there would be no noticeable difference but upon closer examination the scribe would be a more faithful reproduction of the contour.

That is why I like vinyl over cd

More
14 years 8 months ago #7074 by super-hero
Replied by super-hero on topic CD v Vinyl
I have gone from Vinyl to cd, and now from cd to laptop.

Here is why. I do mobile dj work and have to carry a large selection of music, much more than the 50 tunes a club dj might carry.

With a laptop I can carry 50,000 tunes in wav format, which is fine for what I need.
I use Dj software that allows me to see a Wave view of the tracks, so I can see where the breaks are, etc.
I can also use cdj1000's with timecode discs to mix tracks, or sl1210's with timecode vinyl to mix tracks.

So why wouldn't I want to use my laptop?

It gives me the freedom to take every track I own to a gig, and play it at decent quality, using cd or vinyl hardware to mix it.

I\'m not an animal. I\'m a human being.

www.phase-audio.co.uk

More
14 years 8 months ago #7075 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic CD v Vinyl
Assuming 50 meg for each Wav file that's some hard drive you have unless my maths have let me down.

Tony

More
14 years 8 months ago #7076 by super-hero
Replied by super-hero on topic CD v Vinyl
Sorry, 50,000 was a figure I pulled off the top of my head.

I use an external hardrive for my laptop and it currently has 20,000 on it. Not all are Wav files, many are mp3's at 320kbps..

All my older stuff is mp3 and anything that has been added in the last couple of months is Wav. I am constatly updating tracks to better formats when I can.

The point I was trying to make is that some dj's don't realise there is a quality issue with low grade mp3's.

I know that a lot of dj's don't like laptop dj's. I personally find the laptop is a great tool, but is not a replacement for song knowledge (what works and what doesn't) and for reading the crowd.

I\'m not an animal. I\'m a human being.

www.phase-audio.co.uk

More
14 years 8 months ago #7078 by bee

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds