fsp small combo

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5629 by bee
Replied by bee on topic fsp small combo
ok ive looked at drivers what do you think!!

18sound

hf-nd1480 x 1 each side
lf-10nda610 x 2 each side
horn-xr1496 x 1 each side

or

B&C

hf-de160 x 1 each side
lf-10ndl64 x 2 each side
horn-me10 x 1 each side

any other ideas on drivers!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #5632 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic fsp small combo
I would stick with a 1.4" compression driver for the HF if you're using two midbass drivers. The ND1424BT is a nice driver actually. It's a 2.5" diaphragm so it's got a better top end than a lot of other large diaphragm compression drivers but still gives you most of the SPL/frequency range of a 3" diaphragm. The XR1496 horn is an ideal choice.

In terms of the 10", I would say the 18Sound 10NMB420 or B&C 10NDL64 are probably the main candidates. The 10NDA610 is a dedicated midrange driver and won't go low enough for what we're aiming for.

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5637 by bee
Im happy to go with that choice,

18sound

lf - 10nmb420
hf - nd1424bt
horn - xr1496

ill come up with a ruff box,

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5639 by bee
The following sheets outline the specs of the drivers we plan to use in the FSP combo tops

LF-10NMB420

HF-ND1424BT

Horn-XR1496

More
15 years 6 months ago #5641 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic fsp small combo
I have never used an 18 Sound driver, although I have installed cabs with them in, however, if you go the B and C route, don't forget, I can help you with the supply of these.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
15 years 6 months ago #5643 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic fsp small combo
Hi

S750 subs measure 28" by 17" by 14" external and use a single Beyma 15G450. 40Hz-200Hz freq response.

Being a bandpass, it's still mostly strong on subs, and the extended top end just helps with perceived "quickness" as well as making it easier to crossover to other speakers. You'll want to overlap the crossover, eg sub up to 150 with bessel 12 and top down to 100 again with bessel 12. But do some tweaking to see what's best.

I'll provide plans imminantly. It's basically a box with the above dimensions, and 3 internal panels and some ports.

Cheers, John

Ars est celare artem

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5644 by bee
Thanks guys, tony would you go with the b&c lf-10ndl64 for the midrange! what about hf and horn!! im not full up on the b&c range.

More
15 years 6 months ago #5645 by chaudio
While B&C offer a suitable driver for the 10", they just don't have anything comparable in the compression driver and horn department. While on paper the DE610 and ME90 are equivalent, having used both options, the 18Sound offerings are far superior.

More
15 years 6 months ago #5646 by chaudio
Although, I should mention that the ME90 and the 18Sound horns are fully compatible in size and bolt hole configurations so it would be entirely possible to prototype the cab using B&C components then switch to 18Sound later without doing any woodwork. I wish I'd bought a bigger stock of their horns while prices were better. All Italian stuff is silly money now.

More
15 years 6 months ago #5647 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic fsp small combo
Bee, I can only talk about things I know. I have only ever used my own horns in my systems. I have no experience with B and C horns. The 10NDL64 is a good speaker and light, but at 97db it is not the hottest mid around. The 10 MD26 at 100db is a better option, but with it comes weight, which never bothers me, but becomes an issue with many people on here. The 610 is a cheap option, I have never used it because it is not flat enough. There are better ones at a price in the range.
If you want the best, but can only compare paper specs to start with, go for the flattest response and the most efficient. This will be the best start you can get.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds