Is this coming to an end.

More
15 years 6 months ago #5599 by jake_fielder
Replied by jake_fielder on topic Is this coming to an end.

chaudio wrote: I'd like to talk about amplifier design but no-one else seems to be into that... smiley19

My garage has been taken over by 'homework' for the day job at the moment so cabinet building has ground to a halt. However when it gets going I've got 7 half-finished cabs and enough drivers to build a selection of others. Plus I should start prototyping new mid-tops at some point.....

I'll talk to you! smiley31

I have a big fat torroidal and a cap the size of a loosely rolled up news paper sitting around waiting to be a powersupply. although i might just play around with bits of old amps, firstly designing a powersupply, then designing the output stage later... im interested buy not skilled enough, practice makes perfect tho... im doing an HNC in electronics atm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #5603 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Is this coming to an end.
Cool, well lets move the discussion over to my amp building thread and continue there. I'm sure we can design you something! Only minor issue being you could do with two caps to make it easier.

More
14 years 10 months ago #6647 by jake_fielder
I havent been on this site for ages, mainly because of the layout, as the only forum i have been on is SP so im only used to that.

I think we have a really good group here (Many of the "best" members of SP with JSG and Deadbeats facinating projects, and Tony R's expertise), and a way better "interesting project to bullshit ratio" than SP.

I have been on everyday this week waiting for topics to come up, but there isnt really anything substantial.

I'd agree that maybe there are too many forums,

Perhaps we could all meet up to listen to a couple of cabs (not a shoot out or competition) and have some tea/coffee and a chat. I know its not that simple to organise, what with people having to work on different days etc, but i bet something like that could really inject some life into this site, It would be better if it were more than a "backup", it could be the more interesting, more project based, more inovative, less angry version of SP.

I only hope someone reads this smiley19

Jake

More
14 years 10 months ago #6648 by chaudio
I read it!

If you want to talk amplifier projects again I'm getting on quite well with mine. I've got lots of speaker projects planned but just haven't had time to actually do the woodwork. Unfortunately I have to spend at least some time doing paid jobs!

It would indeed be really good to meet up over a cuppa, have a sensible listen to some cabs/amps, not a 'shootout' and have some proper geeky technical discussion!

More
14 years 10 months ago #6649 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Is this coming to an end.
location, and date would be hard for a lot of guys this time of year, coming in to xmas new year etc. But i would be up for it. Being able to put faces to names etc, and listening to speakers is allways the best way to spend any day off...... smiley20 . early next year would be a good time due to the drop in work load around mid jan feb time. im cool to drive to location split deisel with any one who wants to jump in the van with we + 2 people. O i did say van so could fit in some speakers too. Better finish off my mt121 with custom 6". As far as not a lot going on on this site, its up too us too make it work. The guys have done a great job on building the site, which has the protential to be very special. But all sites like this are only as good as the input. Thats are job to do......... Those people that need to get there teath into soming why dont you start a thread about something. Who nows where it could lead more members more post, More projects to get your teath into. The future is bright the future if we want could be fsp. smiley16

More
14 years 10 months ago #6650 by jake_fielder
Wow two replies in about an hour, thats great!
should we try and do something in january?
Nobody on here has heard my 18 ported horns yet, i can fit 2 in my car, that might be worth a listen.

Chris, could you just throw a part number at me and recomend a couple of transistors please? then i'll look at any manufacturers recomended circuit diagrams and build a little prototype at college (im back at college now doing a course lower than the level of course i have already done! dont ask!) Then i'll go from there.

This should be good

More
14 years 10 months ago #6651 by chaudio
Jake, if you were interested, I could sell you a couple of PCB's for my design once I've tested it (PCB's arrive next week).

If you haven't already, I recommend you browsing the ESP site: sound.westhost.com/ there are plenty of projects and information on there to get you started.

January is definitely a good idea, normally a quiet time for most freelancers.

More
14 years 10 months ago #6652 by jake_fielder

chaudio wrote: Jake, if you were interested, I could sell you a couple of PCB's for my design once I've tested it (PCB's arrive next week).

If you haven't already, I recommend you browsing the ESP site: sound.westhost.com/ there are plenty of projects and information on there to get you started.

January is definitely a good idea, normally a quiet time for most freelancers.

I'll have a think about that, i think i have probably said but i work in PCB assembly so can get components very cheaply, if you ever need some parts, (preferably a few of a single high value part, for greatest saving)

Right january it is then, lets see how many people are interested and respond.

Im gonna take a look at the website and play with some designs (i have seen it before about a year ago i think), cheers

Jake

EDIT: Happy birthday Chris, by the way!

More
14 years 10 months ago #6656 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Is this coming to an end.
well i live in middlesex happy to drive a reasonable distance, and could pick up any one on route + there cabs in my van if any one interested. If trade is good over xmas new year i may have the money to load my cabs hopefully.

Ps a detore via scotland is out of the question. smiley36

More
14 years 10 months ago #6661 by kieran
Replied by kieran on topic Is this coming to an end.
I'd be up for some sort of meet up. I'm currently working on a few horn modules and a 2x18 bandpass (someone elses, but he'd probably be up for it). It would be great to have some more people listen to these creations in a non-competitive way, I've never liked the term shootout as it implies there must be a winner. I'm much more interested in comments about strengths and weaknesses of a speaker, we can all decide which is our own winner.

Only small hitch is I'm in the depths of Cornwall, making a journey anywhere quite long, except Devon, but if I'm travelling I prefer to go somewhere civilised. That rules Devon out.

Kieran

the only bass in the village

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds