HornResp Newbie

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13132 by Reverb
Replied by Reverb on topic HornResp Newbie
Bee

Thanks a million! I uploaded my picture to "flickr" (flickr is the same type program as photobucket). The pictured successfully imbedded itself into the forum post. Now I know the extra amount of work you did to teach me how to utilize HornResp. I really appreciate the time and effort. Thanks again.

From your post dated April 27, 2011 time: 21:14 you said:

>>>the horn mouth, lenth etc can be any size you want. for example the longer the horn is (con) and the bigger you make s2, the lower the horn will play, the smaller s1 is the higher the horn will play.

A few questions please....

1) Can there ever be a wrong design? Or worse, can there ever be a horn dimension that is designed beyond the point where there is no additional acoustical/audio benefit? Also,

2) Below is a picture of various horns with various throat sizes. Can there ever be a "wrong" throat size?

3) The lower picture shows the throat size of the wooden multicell horns we spoke about earlier. I was curious how the builder decided on that specific throat dimension?

4) Is there a software program (besides Hornresp) or a book that is specifically written to design hf horns?

[img

Photo: Wikipedia "Horn Loudspeaker"

[img

Photo: CH Audio Design, Co.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #13133 by bee
Replied by bee on topic HornResp Newbie
for hf horns i would use a far more complexed programme like akabak..... there are others.........

yes what you are looking for is to make your horn perform as flat as possible, below is a horn design im currently working on this horn is good from 150hz to 1khz........

this is the predicted plott...... the hard bit is to get the actual horn to sound like it plotts..........

a wrong design would be one that does not plott as flat as possible,

hf horns are one of the hardest designs to sim, but in theory are very simular to any other horn to design, a hf horn would need a very small throat, maybee around an inch or smaller, the horn would be narrower and not very long.......

The length of a horn has alot to do with how low the horn will play, combined with how big the horn exits......

More
13 years 4 months ago #13134 by bee

Reverb wrote: Posted April 26 time: 00:11
>>>and 5 way
hf
mid
midkick
base
subbase

Two questions in regards to the above please.

1) What is midkick?

2) Assuming for example the frequency range of the cabinets above start as low as 20 hz and go as high as 20k hz, what would be the frequency range for each of the 5 cabinets above?

hf = 1khz to 20khz plus
mid = 100hz to 1khz
mid kick = 90hz to 200hz
bass = 40hz to 90hz
subbass = 20hz to 40hz

hope this helps, this is just a ruff guide......

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13138 by Reverb
bee

Looks like your “frequency response curve” is pretty flat from around 101hz to 3k Hz. But you have the chart “zoomed-in” a bit therefore it probably appears more flatter along the entire frequency range if you “zoom-out” a bit. Correct? Thanks bee.

Not sure what is an acceptable “flat” response for a horn. Doesn’t it depend on what type of music the horn is designed around? Symphony music verses Lady Gaga??

When you say “make your horn perform as flat as possible”, I wanted to understand this better and found a great link that explains it well. I replaced the word Microphone in his explanation with the word “Horn”. This helps me to better understand how his explanation can be related to Horn design/modeling in regards to achieving a “flat response curve”.

www.mediacollege.com/audio/micro ... ponse.html

Real newbie question please…. one thing I’m confused about in regards to the “Frequency Response Curve” is how its determined or generated? Is it all based on Thiele/Small parameters and other factors programmed into the software. Is there an actual audio signal used at all?

I downloaded and installed Akabak yesterday and went thru it a bit following this tutorial I found:

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st18811098

Its funny that the forum thread title, is called “AkAbak for Dummies” because it is very advanced stuff and makes little sense to me. But I am picking up the lingo bit-by-bit. Just gotta keep hammering away at it. There is a huge assumption here that the user already understand the concepts, lingo, and theory of horn/cabinet design.

I’ll stick with Hornresp for now. Your teaching me very well.

More
13 years 4 months ago #13142 by bee
try this link on akabak...... one i wrote a while back....

www.freespeakerplans.com/index.p ... &f=8&t=839

the sim is purely the programmes guess on how it should sound....
i believe you should try to get the horn plott as smooth as possible, then just use eq for differant types of music.

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13148 by Reverb
Very good bee. Thanks for the tutorial link on AkAbak. I'm reading right now. So far I understand.

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13151 by Reverb
Bee, your tutorial AkAbak for Beginners" is amazing. I do have some questions but I will re-open and respond on your "AkAbak for Beginners" thread to keep things organized. I will refer to the "Hornresp Newbie" thread as needed. Studying your "AkAbak for Beginners" thread now. Thank you very much.

Quick question. Do you have programming experience? Just curious how you learned to decode AkAbak and learn its secret?

More
13 years 4 months ago #13172 by bee
no im not a programmer im a wood joiner by trade...... hours of learning and reading the manuel.....

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds