HornResp Newbie

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13045 by Reverb
HornResp Newbie was created by Reverb
Hi Members

Can anyone out there please point the way to a basic beginners tutorial on Hornresp?

I found this link and studied it but its still over my head.

www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ ... post324330

I understand speakers and some terminology but still not sure what hornresp is capable of doing. By the way, I read that Hornresp is a speaker modeling program. What is "speaker modeling"?

Also please, does Hornresp provide speaker cabinet dimensions once I learn how to input data?

I have many books on speaker design, own a wood shop, I am aguitarist and own/operate a large PA system as well. Thus I am familiar with the industry. Just need to get started with this horn resp program.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #13047 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic HornResp Newbie
start reading the hornresp help. I learnt looking at it. Then try to calculate the value to put in the input fields, and face with published input by other users.

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13048 by Reverb
Replied by Reverb on topic HornResp Newbie
Thanks Bitzo

I need to start on a more basic level. For instance before I start anything with Hornresp do I need my driver first? In other words, if I want to build a high compression multicell horn then I assume I need the driver first so I can input the driver data?

Also, what is Horn Modeling? This is what the software "Hornresp" apparently accomplishes.

I've been reading Hornresp help but the program assumes I know where to start off.

I need for example:

Step 1 - What do you want to build?

Step 2 - Get the data from the driver you want to install in the horn.

Step 3 - Input the driver data into Hornresp

Step 4 - How to read and understand the calculated results.

Step 5 - Where do I obtain my cabinet dimensions to build once the calculate button is pressed? etc. on and on.........

In other words, is Hornresp a complete speaker cabinet design package? Or do I need another program that helps me to design the cabinet once I obtain the calculated results from Hornresp?

Sorry for the most basic questions. Just trying to get a grasp on all this.

Thank you

More
13 years 4 months ago #13050 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic HornResp Newbie

Reverb wrote: Thanks Bitzo

I need to start on a more basic level. For instance before I start anything with Hornresp do I need my driver first? In other words, if I want to build a high compression multicell horn then I assume I need the driver first so I can input the driver data?

Also, what is Horn Modeling? This is what the software "Hornresp" apparently accomplishes.

the program get mathematics to sim different output spl, gain, phase, etcc.... from the shape and the dimension of the horn but in general from the cab. Just because you can sim 6th order bandpass, reflex or sealed chamber. This numbers and calcs "model" the cab. Playing with them and you get the results that you want (in theory).
Btw compression driver sim is the hardest sim ever.

Reverb wrote: I've been reading Hornresp help but the program assumes I know where to start off.

I need for example:

Step 1 - What do you want to build?

Step 2 - Get the data from the driver you want to install in the horn.

Step 3 - Input the driver data into Hornresp

Step 4 - How to read and understand the calculated results.

Step 5 - Where do I obtain my cabinet dimensions to build once the calculate button is pressed? etc. on and on.........

In other words, is Hornresp a complete speaker cabinet design package? Or do I need another program that helps me to design the cabinet once I obtain the calculated results from Hornresp?

Sorry for the most basic questions. Just trying to get a grasp on all this.

Thank you

You have misundenderstood what hornresp do. You draw the cab, hornresp sim it, thow you draw the cab belongs from you. I mean you can have the same sim but build different cab (in the appeareance), with the same response (in theory) . There are a lot of way to fold an horn, andmany shape to give to reflex ports.
Adjust the sim to give the desired result, for example...reducing compression chamber and you have to re-draw your cab.

It's simpler to try then explain.

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13064 by Reverb
Hi bitzo,

Ok I see. I build the cabinet and Hornresp builds a "model" of it and puts it through some tests.

Sounds good. But.....

Where do I start in building a horn (any horn cabinet)? I know I can just use plans that are supplied on this web site but I'd rather not fly blind and attempt to understand what I am doing and why.

Is there any "newbie" project you can recommend? Like a book or web site that walks me through a design scenario, why I would choose to build a specific design and then how to move the project into hornresp?

In other words ... the whole approach A-Z. I will even help write a tutorial once I learn.

Thank you

More
13 years 4 months ago #13066 by bee
Replied by bee on topic HornResp Newbie
what kind of horn do you want to build..... midtop horn, kick horn, or one for base or low sub.....

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #13069 by Reverb
Hi bee,

>>>what kind of horn do you want to build..... midtop horn, kick horn, or one for base or low sub.....

Let's start with something really "simple" (I know.... nothings is ever simple). How about a horn for hi's

BTW bee. Can you please go over the definition of "midtop", "kick horn" etc. I come from the simple world of Lows, mids and highs. I run my PA tri-amped.

Let's start with a simple horn for the highs. You can even pick the horn type. I would like to see how we run thru a typical design sequence A to Z please.

I'm getting ahead of myself here but eventually I'd like to build this Rolls Royce. Scroll to the bottom of both links.

cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-1505B-MULTICE ... 6341261465

Thanks bee
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Reverb.

More
13 years 4 months ago #13071 by bee
lol..... ok a top horn lets say you are going to use a 1" hf compresion driver on a horn. So lets look at a 12" horn to go with it..... the first thing would be to select a driver........ drivers for horn loading differ from say a driver for a reflex cab...... what make of driver are you looking at......

More
13 years 4 months ago #13073 by bee
if you where running 3 way you would have

hf
mid
base

if you where running 4 way you would have

hf
mid
midkick
base

and 5 way

hf
mid
midkick
base
subbase

hope this helps

you got to love the craftmanship on them multi-cellular horns

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13075 by Reverb
bee

I'm working on answering your questions. Stand by please.

Thanks for helping with this A-Z question.

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds