Hello All

• Miles Airon
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 5 months ago #8505 by Miles Airon
Hello All was created by Miles Airon
I found the site, as well as a few similar, in my search to expand my small PA and my knowledge of sound reinforcement.
Originally, I started looking for some new bass cabinets as a local sound company removed itself from the market and I saw an opportunity to get into some more work if i upgraded my set up.
Long story shortened, thanks to the wealth of information i've been able to gather, I have determined that I can't afford the quality and quantity of sound that I would like, but that I can build a hell of a lot better equipment than i can afford to purchase.
So I've decided to build a 5-way system in 3 or 4 sections (Sub Bass, Kick, and either 3-way mid tops or 2-way with a upperbass/lowmid separate section), section by section. I will start with the low end, as this was my initial plan anyway (my current mid-tops are workable for now and significantly outrun my current low end), then move on to the mid tops and other sections as balance requires and money allows. I would like to build 4 sub horns (single or 2 double), 4 kick horns (single or 2 double), and 3 or 4 mid tops per side, but I will definitely do it in two rounds, half of each, then repeat. Because I wil be building sectionally, I would like to go will cabs that will pay well outside of what will be their final range when all sections are built. What i'm saying here is if I build subs first, I'd like them to play well from 30hz-150hz. If I build the kick section first, I'd like it to go as low as possible. Right now my low end is crossed over to my mids at 150hz and they don't play down very low (109db @ 50hz, 121db @80hz peak, at full power). When I add the new bass section, my mids will be the weak point so I'd prefer to narrow the band and definitely don't want to go any lower with it.

This leads me to my first question:
Do I build Subs or Kick section first?

Initially I didn't really see a plan for a sub that would make it 30-150hz, so I decided to go with building the kick section. I've decided to go horn loaded all the way down so no interest in reflex loaded designs. I was looking at the 1850 folded horn loaded with V18-1000 (or 1200), or the USB/usb single/USB2 (if I can connect with the plans. I had settled on the 1850 but the dimensions are a little large/odd to put on its side and over subs.

Next Question: Folded horn (1850) or bandpass horn (USB) for kick section?

Then I thought I found this plan for the sbh forum.speakerplans.com/super-bas ... page1.html , which seems, in a group of 4 to do my 30-150hz quite nicely. So I thought maybe I'd go this direction and start with the subs. My other possibility's for the sub section were lab subs or x1's.

Next Question: Which subs would you recommend? Something not listed here? Any pro's/con's of the sbh that I may be missing?

I'd also like a little bit of a recommendation regarding amplification. I generally stick close to the 2xRMS of the speaker "rule" for the amount of power I want to deliver. So for the first four subs i build here ( assuming a 1000W, 8ohm driver) i will want about 8000W into 2ohm total, or 2x 4000W into 4ohm. Where I'm running into a quandary is that it seems at lower powers there are cheap/lower-end amps, mid-price/respectable amps, and expensive/good amps, but when power needs exceed about 3500W it seems the middle option disappears. I have looked into QSC (currently using PLx2 amps), Crown, Void, and Lab Gruppen. I don't really need any of the onboard DSP or networking but wouldn't mind if I had it for future use/flexibility.

Please recommend the best amplifier/dollar of respectable to good quality that fits the above situation.

Also if any one could recommend a 5-way analog control style x-over, similar to the rane 23b, but with delays on all outputs?

I have the 23b but it doesn't have delay on the low outs. I saw they make a 2x 4-way the AC-24 that has delays on all channels but I haven't found many options for a 5-way without going to a full dsp unit.

One more question: What are my best options for paint and other small parts/necessities? Paint-wise I would prefer something in which I can choose a custom color. Also I'm in the US so, things I can get here, please.

Hopefully I've included enough info here that I can get some good answers without too much back and forth.
Thank you for responding, and once again for your assistance.

Miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #8508 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Hello All
I can only answer on a few points as I know nothing about the speakers covered by plans on this site.
I would imagine your choice of x/o's will be limited if it's five way active you want. Secondly, You won't get anything with delays on that is analogue, you should really go for a DSP unit, which will be 4 way stereo and make it 5 way passive.
I had a five way system many years ago and I did it with 3 BSS 360 x/o's using the 806 unit for delays.
Regarding paint, Many of us here in the UK won't know what's available where you are, so all I can say is, try to get a 2 pack poly paint. You won't get it from your local store, but will be available somewhere. Although all our car painters now have to use Acrylic paints, 2 Pack can still be used on furniture. I get all mine made up locally to any colour. 2 Pack paint will be the hardest and durable paint to use.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• Miles Airon
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 5 months ago #8513 by Miles Airon
Replied by Miles Airon on topic Hello All
Thanks Tony.

In the XO I was just trying to see if there was something out there similar to what I'm currently using. That doesn't appear to be the case so what would be the recommendation for a reasonably priced reasonable quality unit?

I know very little about paint. Most of what i've found listed as 2 Pack seems to be for metal surfaces. Is that what I should be looking for, or something for wood. Also I have seen urethanes, polyurethanes, epoxys, and enamels. A little help here, what am I looking for?

More
14 years 5 months ago #8514 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Hello All
Regarding x\o's I still use old BSS 388 Omnidrive's Street price here is around £500.00. These are 4 way stereo. If your speaker system is well balanced in power and response, this unit should be all you need.
Paint wise, just try to get 2 pack polyurethane. This is now mainly used for the woodwork industry in the uk, and you can choose your gloss level from 10-90%. 2 pack prima's are also available. These things are easy for me here as I get mine made just a mile from the factory. If you go on line, I'm sure you will get what you want. You would also need a suitable spaying area for this stuff.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds