B and C DCX 50

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #8019 by tony.a.s.s.
B and C DCX 50 was created by tony.a.s.s.
Thought I'd post this in General, as it concerns both mid and high frequency. The other alternative would have been confusing for me.
I am testing this unit at the moment. By chance, this has coincided with the development of my new mid hi cab. I have been trying to think of ways not to have to make a proper phase plug for the 12's. For me the plug was always used to extract the high end out of the cone speaker. Even when you do this, the high end of the speaker can be affected by the length of the horn.
So, my thought are :- With this driver you are able to cross over at a lower point than usual, so you do away with the need for any high end out of the mid speaker. Not only that, if I crossover at 600hz, the wave length will be longer than the horn, so it won't break up. all the frequencies coming from the mid section will complete the cycle without bouncing off the side walls. This is always a problem in normal mid horn configurations.
I would add that the mid section on this driver is very flat from 400hz to 10khz. The only down side to this is that from 600hz, you are then dependent of the HF horn for the remainder of the dispersion. The HF horn will be too short to maintain constant directivity from 600hz and defraction will occur. However, optimum x/o points can be sorted to get the best compromise.
As things develop, I will post accordingly.
Other thoughts on this are more than welcome.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #8021 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic B and C DCX 50
very interesting as usual. what kind of expansion are you going to adopt in this horn?

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #8031 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic B and C DCX 50
The HF horn will be 60x40. I will probably use one of my existing horns ( same as the MX600 ). The mid will a 2x12 but horizontal with the speakers facing in. It's all part of a new system I want to put on top of the RXjnr. The sub will be on it's side with the cabs on top having the same footprint. I think I decided on the upper bass cab. This particular compression driver has given me a new angle to work on. At least with the mid/top situation I'll have quite a bit of scope as to where the x/o point might end up. It'll be just a question of measuring and listening.

More
14 years 6 months ago #8035 by bee
Replied by bee on topic B and C DCX 50
As allways keep us posted Tony, sounds very interesting....

More
14 years 6 months ago #8051 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic B and C DCX 50
I've liked the look of those drivers since they came out but they're not exactly cheap to just buy some to play with. Very interested in how you get on with them.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #8054 by tony.a.s.s.
I was given mine to play with, it hasn't cost anything so far. If it works i will definately buy them for the new system. It will give me another angle, and a different way of achieving a good sound.

More
14 years 5 months ago #8314 by satassfaction
Replied by satassfaction on topic B and C DCX 50
Oh ...my ...God, did i just read correct, in that the man is desgining a new system. That's truely something to get excited about! You only have to read his opening sentences to know the words: league of his own and then some, kind of sum it up!n Can't wait to see some images of the complete system. We're sooooo lucky!
In my neck of the woods i'm restoring some ASS cabs of which i'ver never seen a photo of them set up ...ever! They may not be new desgins but no one will have seen a stack of this before. Three MX450's (Florian's favourites) on top of three MX1200's, with those on top of three MX121RT's. That's a well pokey compact stack. As usual all in battleship grey with all the grills removed and the grill batons gone!
Hopefully done come summer, I've a driving ban till October so that's slowing things a bit!

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 5 months ago #8330 by tony.a.s.s.
Hello Mate, Just wondering, How does a driving ban slow up your painting arm?

More
14 years 5 months ago #8333 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic B and C DCX 50
He's using it for something else :lol:

More
14 years 5 months ago #8335 by satassfaction
Replied by satassfaction on topic B and C DCX 50
Tis a good one Nick! Chortle factor 7 outta ten! In answer to Toneski's question, most of the cabs are now stored in a barn on the outskirts of Redditch that my bro Paul Hodgkins arranged, as I couldn't use the one down here anymore. So I can't nip and get cabs just when i feel like it due to ban. But i've a few here to keep me busy till when i see Paul next in a few weeks time, when he'll bring more down and take the ones i've done back up his way, they'll go back unsprayed as my compressor is in Redditch as well. But the time consuming donkey work will all be done, and i look forward to spraying them this summer when I go up there for a few days. I'm happy with them all stored in Redditch as Paul (who u know as he bought some scoops from you some years back) is my sound system expert and I want him to run the entire system, as he's such a laugh and chilled fella. Plus having to go up there keeps me in contact with Alex Penn and the lads at SSE. Paul and I laid Alex's wooden floor in his home a few months back. Paul went to their late Christmas party, but i was busy down here. The SSE possee are a cool bunch and are full of good vibes.
I'm eating away at refurbishing all my cabs, but i'm just as focused on making serious capital as well which is working out fine. Can't wait to see your new system Tony. I think i'm speaking for everybody there.

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds