The ...We Are Not Worthy Cabinets.

• satassfaction
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 10 months ago #6637 by satassfaction
The ...We Are Not Worthy Cabinets. was created by satassfaction
Heathrow desired to see the 21” big folded subs, which I’ve highlighted the A.S.S logo on, so here you all go. I hope you like them.
It’s rare you see MX cabs like this. Personally I feel this is only how they should be seen, as with a grill on they’re just a boring box, I don’t think black paint does them any favours either.
These images were shot on a sunny day. Check the shadows cast that the angles and curves of the cabs create. The shadows change all day long, constantly creating interesting shapes.
Now you’ve seen this stack picture three of them. That’s six of the 21” subs, and nine MX1200’s, and nine MX600’s. (I have another six MX1200’s and MX600 and the four 21” subs to refurbish) So in your mind picture set up three of what you can see here, but with only the width distance of one of the big 21”subs, between each stack. Well in each of the two gaps that would create between the three monster stacks will go a BS-1200 laid on its side with it’s twin horns curve going towards the ground.
The BS-1200 has the exact same frontal dimensions as the mighty 21” sub. It’s frontal face is the same size as the 21”subs frontal face. So now you’ll have all three stacks perfectly linked. You can see these three MX stacks in my pencil drawing easily.
At ground level the row of bass will be continuous and constant. Actually I’m fortunate to have four BS-1200’s. So in actual fact there will be a BS-1200 either side of the three MX towers as well as two on the inside of the MX towers (to link them)
Ya’ll with me? I know the A.S.S hedz are following this. (after writing this I thought I had better draw a diagram)
Anyway lets’ step things up a bit then.
The outer BS-1200’s that are laid on their sides: well one of them, (it doesn’t matter which) will touch another of these 21” subs. Then the 21”sub will touch another BS1200 and then another 21” sub. From those 21” folded subs (as I have eight in total) will rise the Concert System. (also easily seen on the pencil drawing)
The two Concert System towers will be far larger than the recently posted Concert System images on The Concert System thread, because each Concert System tower will have two double 15’s and two double 12’s before the aluminium horns, lens and top flare.
So to one side of the three MX towers is the Concert System which rises perfectly from two 21” subs. Just to show you how wicked that will be. Notice how the Concert Systems double 15 cab, fits perfectly on one of these 21’s, and even though the photo doesn’t show it, it’s pretty much more or less the same depth as the 21” sub. Also notice how the Concert Systems double 15” cabs vertical vanes line up with what’s ‘going on’ woodwork wise on the inside face of the 21” sub. It wouldn’t have been designed to do that, but is does as there’s a great natural flow in A.S.S cab design. Two completely different cabs from A.S.S systems that work together in perfect harmony.
Anyway as said the Concert System will sit to one side of the three MX towers, and over the other side will be the BS600 / MT602 system. Only the Concert System, and it’s 21” subs will stay black, the rest will be in grey.
That’s pretty much my final vision for this system. It may change. If it does, it’ll only be more MT-602’s, as I have sixteen BS600’s, and to be honest I would like all of them to have MT-602’s on top. Which would mean that image of the system that I posted on the: A.S.S That’ll Give You The Horn thread, could become twice as big if I come across four more MT-602’s. Which would be such a powerful wall of sound. I do have some MX450’s some RX 18” scoops, so they to may fit in nicely at some point. And there’s five A.S.S wedge monitors. And when I eventually get to set this all up, even though I drew that diagram I’ll probably have the Concert System in the centre.
All in all I would like this system to be one of the best on this planet.
I’ll add more images as the months pass as more cabs get refurbished, and the opportunity to photo them set up like this arises.
Of course there are lorries to be bought, mains distribution stuff, loads of amplifiers and a big generator. And no doubt other stuff to.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• satassfaction
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 10 months ago #6638 by satassfaction
Replied by satassfaction on topic The ...We Are Not Worthy Cabinets.
Here's the image of the Concert Systems double 15 sitting on top of a black 21" sub. (both yet to be refurbished)
As mentioned in the opening discourse, check how the double 15's vanes line up with what's going on, on the inside face of the sub. Wicked!
Attachments:

More
14 years 10 months ago #6639 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic The ...We Are Not Worthy Cabinets.
I always knew that colours other than black were better for photos and showing horns off. Seeing these photos and reading such enthusiasm makes me want to start producing again.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
14 years 10 months ago #6640 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic The ...We Are Not Worthy Cabinets.
smiley32 Lovely !

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

More
14 years 10 months ago #6641 by ionkontrol
Replied by ionkontrol on topic The ...We Are Not Worthy Cabinets.
Top draw! smiley32

More
14 years 10 months ago #6645 by bee
Replied by bee on topic The ...We Are Not Worthy Cabinets.
i want some...... great work. Dont tease us tony, a new ass range of cabs, we but can dream. But if you did........

More
14 years 10 months ago #6660 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic The ...We Are Not Worthy Cabinets.
It does make me want to take part again. I'm still busy building scoop bin systems, and I've often thought where I could go next to improve the MX system. Answers on a post card please.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• satassfaction
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 10 months ago #6662 by satassfaction
Replied by satassfaction on topic The ...We Are Not Worthy Cabinets.
That's an easy question to answer. This is what I was going to do, it's just you’d execute it so much better. The MX system needs tweeters. I saw an image you posted on Speaker Plans, where you had put a row of four tweeters vertically down the centre of each MX600 on a custom one off job for someone. Much that it would have improved the sound considerably, as top quality tweeters really lift the sound, but that way of doing it detracted from the visual impact of the MX600. Picture this, as this is what I’d like to do. Imagine an MX cabinet that was only a few inches tall, We’ll call it the MX tweeter slice. The MX slice would sit on top of the MX600, and would be an optional extra. It would be same width, as the MX600, and MX1200 etc, but no need to be as deep, as it only houses tweeters. Each slice would have four tweeters in a horizontal row, and maybe angled downwards like the ’letterbox’ flares are.
That’s how the MX system needs to be improved. I’ve done what I can visually, and I do want to make the MX tweeter slices, but I have to use hand tools, and making nine of them will take ages for me. When I have suitable funds for this, it’s something we can have a chat about.
The MX600 cab also has a weak spot, it’s right near to the top, where the angled piece of wood exists that the letterbox flare fits in; well where that angled piece joins the smaller piece of wood above it, that’s not angled, and is about an inch tall, those two pieces often come apart from each other, and show up through the paint like a big horrible split, which isn’t very good at all.
When one does away with the grill and its batons that little inch tall piece of wood near the cabs top isn’t needed, and that weak spot / join, would then also disappear. Then the subtlety angled piece of wood for the flare would come down directly from the top of the cabinet. This needed design change that gets rid of that weak spot, that’s only there to fit a horrible grill baton, would also reduce the cabs height by about an inch and would make the tweeter slice on top ’hug’ much tighter to the flare.
Have a look at the face-on image (the one with not much sunlight on the stack which is the last inthe series) The big unsightly gap of wood above the flare where the baton went, now it isn’t needed is it, it’s dead wood. If it was an easy job I would cut the top of my cabs off, remove that inch and then put the top of the cab back on right flush against the flare. The cab would look so much more compact around the flare.
And another thing that would have been truly superb for the MX600, which is what I would have done if I had of made this cab, is to not have used the same flare that you used in the MX350 as you have in the MX600, 450 and 500. The MX350 looks fookin’ absolutely WICKED mate because it’s entire face is just about sound, there’s almost no ’dead’, not dedicated to sound surface area. The flare comes right to the very edge of the cabinet.
Have a peek at your MX350 picture, isn’t it a cool cab. But look at that big horrid gap above the flare. It looks awful. If the cabinets top piece of wood almost touched the flare rather than that big ole inch gap it would be a cab to die for. However it’s still wicked. But not quite as wicked as it could be!
When I saw your MX range I was slightly disappointed the MX450 and MX600 hadn’t of got a flare like the 350 that comes right to the cabs edge. A bigger flare for the MX 600 and 450 would give a slight improvement on dispersion. Only slight, but an improvement none the less. Even if a bigger flare wasn’t fitted, that inch of wood has got to go, it doesn’t matter the MX600 wouldn’t be as tall as the MX1200.
I’d also like to stand two MX1200’s side by side, but have cut away the vertical cross brace on one. And see if it still sounded just like the braced one, and didn’t unduly vibrate. I really like 'opening' cabinets up. The MX1200’s, design in the way it curves inward but uses the flat surfaces of wood to create the curve is spectacular, and clever as hell. The symmetrical utilization of wood to house the two drivers all hidden away in their chambers, but with this enormous opening that is the horn, is spellbinding to look at, I never get bored of looking at MX1200’s, and know if it was acoustically safe to do away with the brace it would be such as sick cab to look at! An MX1200, when you very first see one, it’s like an enigma. You’re like how the fuk, what the fuk’s going on there then. If there were awards for cab design the MX1200 would destroy all competition. It’s just so pure.
I do think it’s worth me removing the brace on one and experimenting; it’s all about experimentation and always trying to improve, and being brave. After all I can always put the brace back if I detect even the slightest unwarranted vibration, which shouldn’t happen as there’s a ton of MX600’s baring down on them.
A.S.S cabs can, on occasion be slightly over engineered in places. I want cabs that are taken to the very limits of performance, ultra cabs. And where it can be done, in every single aspect to make it as superb as is possible! No questions about it. And never having anything that’s not needed, which as a side benefit also lowers production costs.
Attachments:

More
14 years 10 months ago #6665 by jazomir
Replied by jazomir on topic The ...We Are Not Worthy Cabinets.
Got to agree - those cabs do look better in grey, almost as though they have been carved out of granite. Mind you, if they are like other ASS cabs they probably as much as granite cabs.
They really look like brand new cabs - and all the better from the fact that they stack so neatly, always a bonus IMHO because many people involved in the sound business listen with their eyes as well as their ears.

Regards,
Jazomir

More
14 years 10 months ago #6690 by opus jody
Replied by opus jody on topic The ...We Are Not Worthy Cabinets.
Ohhhh yes!!
get on mate, they look fantasstic.

opus pocus

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds