• Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #6518 by nickyburnell
Speed of sound was created by nickyburnell
The speed of sound is constant.
Sound can however travel on the wind.
Could this in some way explain, "throw"?
;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #6522 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Speed of sound
the speed of sound is constant at 344milliseconds. But not all frequencys will travel further in wind.... for example a high freq will bounce off an object and travel back in the direction it came from, but low bass freq will travel in a straight line passing through objects!!!!!! I allways though a speaker would (throw) further if there is no objects in its way i.e. walls/trees etc for example i did an outside gig a few weeks back you could hear the bass 3 miles away but you could not hear the high freq... it was a clear night no wind..... I wouldnt say the bass was (throwing) so to speak. If you stand 1m away from a speaker placed on the floor you will hear it clear as a bell, now if some one stood infront of you the sound from that speaker would be less clear. Now if that speaker was placed above head hight and you stood 1m away from it again it would sound clear, now if some one stands in front of you the sound still has a clear path so still sounds good. Thants my view on the term speaker throw........

More
14 years 10 months ago #6523 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Speed of sound
You are touching on the subject of defraction, which is important to be aware of, when designing horns. I have always assumed these simple facts. If a body is larger than the wave length, it will impede the flow. If a body is smaller than the wavelength, the sound emitted will pass around it.
This is the reason that higher frequency out of a folded horn bass cab sounds terrible. The long waves that are larger than the sections in the horn continue round without breaking up and reflecting, but the waves that are smaller reflect from all surfaces, and with it comes a small amount of peaks and dips
my own speed of sound figure for time alignment purposes has always been based on 345 metres per second.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
14 years 10 months ago #6631 by jake_fielder
Replied by jake_fielder on topic Speed of sound

bee wrote: the speed of sound is constant at 344milliseconds.

I think you mean meters per second!

From memory its 343 m/s at 20degrees at sea level.

More
14 years 10 months ago #6633 by bee

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds