Speaker Heat sinks

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #6514 by bee
Speaker Heat sinks was created by bee
I have noticed a few manufacturers using heat sinks on the rear of their cabs, How do they work?. Do the heat sinks touch the back of the driver like a pc heat sink?, or do they cool the air in the rear chamber?. What would be the diy way of doing this......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #6586 by satassfaction
Replied by satassfaction on topic Speaker Heat sinks
Drop a few of the manufacturers a line with them thinking you're interested in purchasing some, and that you require info on these heat-sink cabs. See what they send you, and from that you maybe able to DIY something your self if you feel it's worth while. That's what i would do.

More
14 years 10 months ago #6591 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Speaker Heat sinks
Hi,
cpu heatsink and transfomer heatsink I think could work well but...the plain sid must be in rear chamber or in contact with speaker magnet, and the spiky side on open air. So could be pretty tricky to keep the rear chamber airtight.
However check the lab sub plan or 2pi sub, these cabs have a real problem with temperature.

More
14 years 10 months ago #6626 by jake_fielder
Replied by jake_fielder on topic Speaker Heat sinks
you could always have a "spikey" side on the outside and inside, which would hopefully allow the heat in the air in the rear chamber to transfer to the outside.

Although its clearly going to be far more efficient if it is attached to the driver, i have a few 6" square heat sinks (with 1 - 1.5" spikes) kicking around,

I wonder if it would be a slight improvment to have them mounted in the access panels of FLHs - spikes on the inside,

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #6627 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Speaker Heat sinks
jake this is what i was thinking of. there must be pro's in using them other wise the pro speaker companies wouldnt use then. im wondering if any other member has done some R&D and what if any was your findings increased peek power etc.........

More
14 years 10 months ago #6630 by jake_fielder
The whole idea is less power compression and higher continuous ratings i assume.

I have read that power compression can wipe out a few dBs, which could mean that in some instances you could halve the power and have the same output!

I think that taking the heat away from the driver will allow the voice coil to stay cooler and thus not increase its resistance

More
14 years 10 months ago #6632 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Speaker Heat sinks
Putting aside the danger of pushing your speaker where it doesn't want to go because of power compression, I learnt many years ago that a dip in level wasn't a problem because by the end of the night, everyones hearing, including mine, had taken an even bigger dip. All that worry over nothing.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
14 years 10 months ago #6635 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Speaker Heat sinks
Oh sooo well said. And I bet you're straight, the punters (sometimes) have the, "Added element" :)

• bee
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 9 months ago #6749 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Speaker Heat sinks
even with points raised ubove i still have done a little bit of research in to heatsinks... i have come across a few webpage's link below worth a little read.

www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeake ... 17334.html

www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeake ... 17535.html

www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeake ... 17999.html

www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeake ... 17652.html

More
14 years 9 months ago #6767 by jake_fielder

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: Putting aside the danger of pushing your speaker where it doesn't want to go because of power compression, I learnt many years ago that a dip in level wasn't a problem because by the end of the night, everyones hearing, including mine, had taken an even bigger dip. All that worry over nothing.

Alright Tony?

yeah but imagine wiping 2dB of power compression... could mean taking 6 cabs instead of 8 (for example), or just running your 8 cabs with a greater margin of safety, could be worth it, and i recon is definatly worth considering.

Yes, i have noticed the hearing thing. it doesnt take long before your ears totally lose their sensitivity.... perhaps they need tiny heat sinks attached.... smiley14

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds