ON TOP OF SCOOPS

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 11 months ago #6476 by nickyburnell
ON TOP OF SCOOPS was created by nickyburnell
The much documented scoop honk above 90hz (ish) is an issue. 2 x 15's are a compromise in their 1k up performance, although not as much as the compromise of no kick from a 2x10. Can a 2x12 do it? The proviso being cheap 1" comp at 1k6 or so.. Anybody got real world experience, trying to keep it a 2/3 way two box system?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #6477 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic ON TOP OF SCOOPS
If you were ever to get to the Opera House club in north London, you will see Scoops and MX600's. Four scoops stacked sideways each side of the DJ stand and Four MX600's arrayed above the DJ hole in the wall. This is a club that maintains a good sound whenever you go. the scoops from memory cross over at 120 hz into the MX600's. In this application, you cab see what a good general bass cab the scoop is.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• nickyburnell
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 11 months ago #6481 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic ON TOP OF SCOOPS
Thanks Tony, so is it that my experience is with mini's or driver choice? I know that people used to happily go higher than 90, even all the way to a tweeter in the really old days.
So those particular scoops are happy doing some kick. What are they loaded with?

More
14 years 11 months ago #6482 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic ON TOP OF SCOOPS
Those particular cabs are loaded with the B and C 18TBX100's.
I still think the build quality has a lot to do with how each scoop sounds. It's a big cab with a big open space. When I first adapted the scoop from the original JBL cab 25 years ago, there were a few 18s' already out there. They were really bad. In those days people only looked at the shape, without regard for weight and mass. These cabs were unbraced, and therefor shook all over the place when played. I never concerned myself with weight, it's bad enough having to compromise the size of a horn to get it into a truck, so a good strong heavy cab is definitely the brief.
As a matter of interest, I've also used a 1X15 plus horn above the scoop. The SDJ cab is passive, so provides a simple 2 way active system.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 11 months ago #6484 by
Replied by on topic ON TOP OF SCOOPS
I've played at the Opera House Tottenham many times. Tony what a system you have built in there mate! All powered by PSL amps and BSS omnidrives. Derek the Sound Engineer loves them cabs as does any decent dj who likes their sound! I was going too buy one of their spare RX18's (I think that's the model) once, but never did. Everyone I have taken too that place, other djs, friends etc all comment on the intense, but nice sound!

I heard they had a change around and re-vamp in there. I hope they didn't get rid of the setup!!! Those MX600s and RX18's (I think?) are fupping awesome mate! I mean gut wrenching awesome and I've recently just got back from a Void Audio day at Matter O2! A.S.S kick A.S.S ha ha ha bet you've heard that many Tony! :lol:

One day I will sort out a set of MX600's and I believe RX18's? for my mobile dj ri when I'm feeling brave enough to handle the weight! If people carry F1 systems about for mobile work why shouldn't I have an A.S.S?! smiley36

Ciao

Will

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds