USB Help !?

• Slo Joe
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago #6184 by Slo Joe
USB Help !? was created by Slo Joe
We have built and loaded 4 USB's with Celestion FTR18 4080FD's and wired them as shown in my diagram. (2 drivers to 1 chassis) We would like some advice on how would be best to run them.... (either with a 2 channel amp patched together or 4 channel amp) . . and also what amp would be adequate with a budget?? Any suggestions or direction would be much appreciated smiley20
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #6185 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic USB Help !?
Endless possibilities without knowing your budget.

Tony

• Slo Joe
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago #6186 by Slo Joe
Replied by Slo Joe on topic USB Help !?
Yeah i can imagine..... A very, very small budget smiley6 Probly got about 500 - 600 quid to spend on power for these

Thanks, Joe

• Slo Joe
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago #6187 by Slo Joe

Slo Joe wrote: Yeah i can imagine..... A very, very small budget smiley6 Probly got about 500 - 600 quid to spend on power for these

Thanks, Joe

I actually have a few questions?! A single cabinet loaded with 2 x 8 Ohm drivers . . Does this mean that the signal now required is of 4 ohm load? And if so, how much wattage is now needed to power a single cab? again, any information would be greatly appreciated and taken on board!!! :silent:

More
15 years 1 month ago #6188 by Tony Wilkes
Assuming 8 ohm drivers you can wire them in series which gives you 16 ohms or parallel which would give you 4 ohms. These can then be further wired with other cabs in series or parallel if required.

To keep it relatively simple I would use 2 amplifiers each driving 2 cabs in 4 ohms so 1 cab on each channel.

Another way to go would be 4 relatively low power amplifiers each running 1 cab bridged into 4. The Berry EP2500 would actually work OK in this mode hi-passed at about 40hz and no clipping. 4 second-hand berrys or similar would probably be in budget and relatively easy to obtain.

You ideally want an amplifier capable of about 3000 watts per channel into 4 ohms, not many of them about even second hand at £300 a pop.

Tony

More
15 years 1 month ago #6193 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic USB Help !?
That would be running the Berry's at 4r bridge. I know they can do it but how long will they last?
This scenario is exactly why my PD1850's are 16ohm. Nice and easy to find 8ohm bridged amps. IE, STR2000, 2k bridged 8.
I think you are going to need a grand at least. 2 x Proline 3000, or 2 x EV 3000 s/h .
Cheapest option would be wire each cab in series, 16ohm. Two cabs them gives 8ohm load. Then use STR2000/2400 (Matrix) or JBL MPX1200 or Proline 2700 (maybe even 1800) at a nice safe 8r bridge. I think there were two Matrix STR 2400's for sale on SP?

forum.speakerplans.com/matrix-uk ... page2.html
2400 bridged 8. Nice

More
15 years 1 month ago #6194 by Tony Wilkes
That still gives him no where near the power that he could use.

Also do not underestimate the EP2500. It has now become fashion to kick this budget workhorse BUT when used within its limitations (very little clipping) it works very reliably.

Also I read it that the Celestions were already obtained and do they do a 16ohm version anyway that is easily obtainable?

Tony

More
15 years 1 month ago #6195 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic USB Help !?
Running the drivers in series, then paralleling the cabs onto an amp running at 8 Ohm bridge, offers no benefit over the much simpler method of just wiring the drivers in parallel and running one cab per amp channel at 4Ohms.

From talking to a Behringer dealer, he reckons the new EP4000 has slightly more balls than the EP2500's although probably not as far as the spec's claim!

Two of those will set you back about £500 and will probably give you pretty good value for money.

Either that or you're looking at two second hand amps such as the Matrix STR's suggested.

More
15 years 1 month ago #6196 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic USB Help !?
He has 2k of drivers in each cab. ANY Berry is not going to give enough at 4 stereo. You can believe the figures for the 4000 if you like, I don't
It is well documented that the lifespan of EP2500's is seriously reduced at 4r bridge, although I really don't see a cheaper option I agree.
Series the cabs into the Matrix as you say is not enough power, (I was having a senior monent then ;) and no 16r Celestions are not available.
So there we have it, the man needs two 2k per chanel amps, somewhat out of budget.
Berry's into 4r bridged though smiley21 IMHO

• Slo Joe
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago #6197 by Slo Joe
Thanks for all the input guys. I have found that the FFA range of amps offer exactly what i need, but at a serious price smiley11

www.noisecontrolaudio.com/products_ff10.htm

Think i may treat myself to an early xmas present :P The FFA8 listed below drives 2400w a channel @ 4 Ohm which is ideal for those celestions i believe?? am i correct on thinking this??

www.noisecontrolaudio.com/products_ff8.htm

cheers, Joe

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds