16 ohms or 8 ohms???

• satassfaction
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 2 months ago #6134 by satassfaction
16 ohms or 8 ohms??? was created by satassfaction
A couple of things here that those who understand multimeters, resistance and stuff like that may be able to come up wv da answers!
Firstly i have just recieved a vintage JBL 2440 two inch compresion driver from a pal in the states. It's to go with a identical one i already have. Yesterday i decied to turn them on to see what i thought. But one is clearly louder than the other. Hmmm i thought, why's this? So i took off the backs of them (not knowing what else to do) and saw that the diaphram on one of them says 8 ohms and the diaphram on the other says 16 ohms. Is this why one sounds louder than the other?
I know that when you link up cabs that are eight ohms the resistance drops to four. But why 16 ohms, what are the advantages? Why are most compression drivers rated at 16ohms.
Also i've just won some A.S.S MT 602's on Fleabay. the dude selling them has on a seperate listing the PD 121's that were fitted in them, and states they are 16 ohms. Is this because the tweeters and the 2" compression driver from the cab would have been 16 ohms and the 12" PD mid has just been put in at 16 ohms to make all the drivers the same ohms rating.
But all the other PD 121's i have in other A.S.S cabs are eight ohms and come to think of it they are matched with compression drivers of a different ohms rating. I find this differnt ohms stuff confusing. smiley5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #6135 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic 16 ohms or 8 ohms???
just some hypotesis IMHO....
compression driver at 16 ohm are better than 8 ohm because if you link 8 of them you reach 2 ohm instead of 1. Better 2 than 1 for your amps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds