Honest Joe Public!

• satassfaction
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 3 months ago #6037 by satassfaction
Honest Joe Public! was created by satassfaction
I was reading a thread 'over there' (tee hee) about a guy who was walking away from a free party with his cherished box of records held in one hand when a car stopped, the door opened, and some evil git in the car leant out grabbed his box of vinyl, at which point the car sped off. (soundz like something form Chicago during the 1930’s)
You can imagine how the geezer felt. Things like this are one of the reasons I am on my guard at free parties where there’s no security, as they can attract some right nasty well off-key people. However I opened this thread in case people wish to tell a story that's on a more positive tip. I have two worth telling.
I know how that fella must have felt, I too have treasured records, although these days 99% of them I've recorded onto C.D, as my Technics SLDZ1200 digital dex are the bomb, and are not different to using the old analogue dex with needles. In other words you are still mixing and touching vinyl there’s just no needles! I have Sensei Haus fake vinyl's on the platters and the whole tactile experience - I.E touching the platter to control the pitch and make those constant subtle adjustments to keep everything locked is identical. In fact when I first got the dex I kept going to take the fake record off, forgetting a CD was in the machine; that's how realistic to the originals they are, but much better! They are the only CD dek that is very, very close to vinyl that I'm aware of. But I digress, this isn't the topic, but I really must take all opportunities to wax lyrical about my dex- as at the end of the day, after all your amps, and speakers, and wot-not, and how's your fathers (doing well thanks) it's all about the dude behind the dex. And I really am bad, if I don't mind saying! Which I don't! (hee hee)
Anyway when I used to live in London with a chick I had some regular slots at a few clubs that paid some lolly and kept moo-cow happy (fookin' witch she woz)
Unlike in towns, clubs in the capital often have 6am closing times as norm. Often I'd be leaving a club after 6 as I knew the promoters and would help pack things down if need be. Then it was a drive home, which was always enjoyable, as earning capital in such a way doing what you love, also meant travelling on roads that for normal folk are often bumper to bumper most of the time. Not during the wee hours.
When I got in I was usually whacked, so I'd crash out. After parking on the road by our house I'd bring my record box in, dump it in the hall way and then go to duvet, snuggy tucky-in, boh byes land, zzzzz. But on one occasion I stepped out of the car, put the record box on the road surface by the car door and walked in, forgetting to pick the box of records up that I had left more or less in the middle of the friggin road!. When I awoke that afternoon I noticed my records were not in the hall way, I asked my partner had she moved them. No she said, then it dawned on me what I had done. Suddenly I had that feeling come in my stomach you get when something really bad has happened.
The thing is most dance records are irreplaceable, a collection may span years. I had loads that were really rare and seriously wicked. Many I had swapped and done all sorts of deals to obtain. I was so cheesed off!
Latter that evening there was a knock on the door, a man who lived many houses up had saw them on his way to work picked them up and now I had them back.
That was a good ten years ago, but only last month something else happened, that really was honest Joe Public. I was just leaving to go to London from Colchester to collect and pay for a wicked amp I had won on EBay. My wallet had in it £450. £400 for the amp, and the rest for fuel and whatever. Once I had filled up I handed some cash to a pal who went and paid. I then stupidly put my wallet on the fuel pump with £430 in it, got in the car and forgot to pick the wallet back up, and then drove off!
Three miles down the road I felt my back pocket as I drove and realised no wallet! Oh fuk I thought as I instantly knew what I had done. You stupid c**t I shouted out loud to myself!
Man I spun that car round and drove so fast back to that petrol station, running a major set of lights in the process. When I got there the wallet had gone! (bollox I thought) So I went into the kiosk and asked if anyone had handed a wallet in. And do you no what a humble pizza delivery guy who earns not much money in life had handed it in! Now that's honestly for you and is a reason to feel good about life. He hadn’t even left a contact so I could sort him out!
I was an hour late getting my amp, but I didn't care one bit!
If anyone else has any honesty stories that are related to music in some way that have happened to them over the years let us all know, as the more decent side of human nature is what makes people happy.
Anyway I think I'm going to go make some lemon curd on toast and down-load a tune or two, as the Technics await the next mixing session.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6038 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Honest Joe Public!
Left boot of car open all night, full of IT gear, keys through letterbox, car locked for me.
Left 200 notes in cashpoint machine dispenser (doh), it was being handed in at Sainsburys customer service as I arrived to ask (gave the lady a nice reward)
Gave man down road old keyboard for his old PC. Big pile of strawberrys on car seat next day.
People reguarly knock and warn of the trafic wardens coming.
All the above since I moved to Devon from West London.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds