Old JBL specs

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 4 months ago #5774 by tony.a.s.s.
Old JBL specs was created by tony.a.s.s.
Out of interest I was looking at some old JBL specs. In particular JBL 2425. This is contained in the archive section. What stuck me as really funny was how they had displayed the frequency response. It looks like they drew a wiggly line with a thick pen. Not up to todays standards that have to satisfy a demanding eye. Have a look and see what you think. It will make you smile.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #5776 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic Old JBL specs
Very true, looks simplistic compared to today's standards ( Beyma 6cx200nd ).
When was this Cd in production?

I have uploaded the pdf here .

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 4 months ago #5777 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Old JBL specs
These were components that I used in through the '80's the 25 was followed by the 2426 which had a redesigned suspension. If you could afford them, these were the best you could get. Of course, the ultimate was a TAD driver, as it still might be today, but totally impractical in the General PA market. These drivers were very delicate, and in a lot of cases would not last the first night. That's why we bought JBL. Strangely enough, in those days, there wasn't too many new components being produced, unlike today where we are spoilt for choice. Although, it was easier to make your mind up about systems components. If you wanted the best, as I always did, it was easy, you had Gauss in the bass and mid and JBL in the top. Heaven.

More
15 years 4 months ago #5786 by satassfaction
Replied by satassfaction on topic Old JBL specs
What a good thread to ask some questions regarding my A.S.S Concert System that have been on my mind for some time. I appreciate the Gauss drivers are wicked, but they are not available these days. What do you think Tony, is the very best out there to reload four of your Concert System double 15 cabs with, and also what would you reload the identical in design but smaller lower mid cabs of the Concert System with - baring in mind the only stipulation is only the best will do?
I have kicking around a pair of vintage JBL 2440's, i was thinking of using these in the acoustic lens cabs, and another pair in the whopping great big radial horns. However to be honest i imagine there are better drivers available these days even though the 2440 is a high quality driver.
Also while i think of it i was going to use a pair of JBL 2420's in the top flares, and another pair in the mini len's that will sit in the same box as the big len's. However once again even though these are good units, i would imagine there are better drivers around. I would be very interested indeed in what you would recommend as the absolute best and most powerful drivers to reload this system, as in a few months time i wish to reload my Concert System. Thanks for your time.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 4 months ago #5788 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Old JBL specs
It's my belief that the dynamics of a system alter with power. In the days of Gauss, The original Alnico models only handled 200 watts and later 400 watts when the magnets were changed to ceramics. 4-800 watts into 4 was a big amp. So you had a sound combination between the two. When it comes to sound, it is possible to get a better sound out of a 200 watt amp than a 2000 watt amp. Remember, power doesn't guarantee a great sound.
In the early days, Gauss speakers were driven with HH, RSD Later ( Studio Master, ) Phase Linear, Turner, Crown (Amcron,) and some I've forgotten. It's difficult to say what would be the ultimate now for any cab. People get hung up on power and seem to want to put 1000's of watts into one speaker, this has never been my way. So, back to the question. There are many good speakers now that can be driven by good amps, and unfortunately, you can only find out by trial and error. choosing specs is only a start.
The starting point for the 2x15 would be a speaker that works well and stays together in a very small chamber. The 2x12 low mid cab is less critical as there is little excursion to worry about. The speaker that was originally used was the RCF L12P24. This in my opinion was the best 12 ever made. Dave Martin also agreed with me. Neither of us could ever understand at the time, why the speaker was dropped. A direct replacement for it was never made.
Regarding your JBL components, they would be fine in the hi mid and top sections. There are flatter drivers these days, but with a little eq, the JBL's would be good.
I may seem a little non committal regarding cone speakers, and that's because I've never had the opportunity to try any modern speaker in the old cabs. My colleague, Ian (JBL Man), who has these cabs would probably have a good opinion as what would work these days. I guess you can find something in maybe for different makes of speaker that will perform well in the bass and lower mid cabs. As for being 100 % sure, you won't find out until you've tried them all.

More
15 years 4 months ago #5797 by satassfaction
Replied by satassfaction on topic Old JBL specs
That's interesting, thankyou, i shall chat to Ian, the Gauss drivers can still be bought, as many are sold on the US Ebay. Not sure about obtaining those 12" RCF's, can't believe i thought they were outdated junk when i got the cabs and passed on four of the RCF 12's to a pal, the other four 12's in two of the cabs were ATC's. I may try to get the RCF's back! I'm yet to be convinced there's nothing out there that's as good or better. Planet earth is a large ole place. But trying various drivers untill i find one that 'has a nice ring' isn't really an option. I'd end up wiv a big ole pile of duff ones. And i do not have the expertese to do something like that; all those wibbley wobbley curves on charts, like what started this threads inital topic is all proper double dutch to me.
BPM's man, that's where my heads at, Technics world class mixing. Scratching and making the dexs talk to each other. Never dropping a beat in twelve hours and bringing a crowd to a mass orgaism over and over again like you would a seriously fit chick.
Yeah i get off on systems that rinse! But specs are a whole other language, i sadly have been one of the fools duped by spes that say this driver is such and such watts. Foolishly beliveing that more power and bigger price tag equals better thump, thock hiss and sizzle.
Now i just don't have a firm clue other than to source original Gauss drivers. :think:

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds