Any classical guitarists out there?

• markie
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 9 months ago #5050 by markie
Any classical guitarists out there? was created by markie
I just bought an old Jasmine (tacky Tackamine) classical guitar. Never had a nylon strung before and as I expected, the neck is a bit like a tree trunk. The action also is much higher than I'm used to........... 5.5mm at 12th fret.

What's the norm, just wondering whether to attack the saddle with a file or are they always high?

I couldn't resist it, spruce top and rosewood back/sides......... so pretty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #5053 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Any classical guitarists out there?
Hi Mate. The only thing about lowering the action by filing, is that you can't go back. the problem with an acoustic instrument is that any suggestion of fret buzz will dull the tone. Is there a truss rod that can be adjusted. Sometimes actions are high on an acoustic because the neck is bending forwards a little. Is the fret board flat? I don't think 5.5mm is too high at the 12th. If you play an acoustic with your fingers you will get more movement out of the strings, so actions should be generally higher than an electric.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• markie
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 9 months ago #5054 by markie
Replied by markie on topic Any classical guitarists out there?
No truss rod that I can see. It is a nylon strung, I don't think they normally have them. It has a piezo pickup which I presume is under the saddle so a quick way might be to whip that out. Then if it works out I'll file the saddle down.......... maybe buy a funky bone saddle and fit that and keep the original as-is for Justin.

More
15 years 9 months ago #5059 by tommysb
Replied by tommysb on topic Any classical guitarists out there?
Hi Markie,

The neck should be much wider and the strings higher on a classical. It's better suited to fingerpicking etc. as far as I know.

More
15 years 9 months ago #5107 by rob
Replied by rob on topic Any classical guitarists out there?
I guess this is in my ball park.....
The action does sound atad high, if the neck is straight..ish the best way to lower the action is to sand the bottom of the saddle, use a piece of glass with some fine sanding type paper, put the paper on the glass and rub away the bottom of the saddle. If you take too much off you're stuck, take it off bit by bit and tune the guitar up to pitch at each trial, look for buzzing or fret rattle.
Sounds as if the guitar is fitted with a ust piezo pickup under the saddle, if the bottom of the saddle is not dead flat against this, when amplified some notes will be louder than others. The saddle should not be slack in the slot but i nice sliding fit, i polish saddles with wax to make them slide in the slot and not hang up on the sides. If you fit a bone saddle you may get uneven amplified sound through the ust as bone does not have a even density. Buy a decent man made material saddle.
As you lower the saddle the volume of the guitar(acoustic) will drop(slightly) as the down ward pressure is not as great, try and look for a compromise playability/volume!
Thats me done
Rob Edited by: Rob

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds