RE: Horn or Reflex???

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 10 months ago #15661 by COZY PILLOW
RE: Horn or Reflex??? was created by COZY PILLOW
Hi Guys I have a pair of brand new 8 Ohm PD12.SB30's www.precision-devices.com/ShowDetails.asp?id=63 and I wondered if I could use them in a single 12" version of the SMT212.

I would like to use a pair of 2" comps Fane CD.280's www.fane-acoustics.com/prod_details.aspx?pid=166 and a pair of eminance horns I have spare too the www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMITI2000 .

I wondered if the PD's had a high enough BL to work in a horn style cab?

I will be driving the PD's from 120hz to 1.6Khz with a Matrix XT2000 and Fanes with a Matrix XT500.

I will be using these for smaller gigs for up to 400 people and I was not sure if a reflex cab would be better?

If a reflex cab was recommended has anyone have a design in mind?

Cheers,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 10 months ago #15712 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic RE: Horn or Reflex???
Anybody?

More
12 years 10 months ago #15747 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic RE: Horn or Reflex???
A single 12" a side for up to 400 people? Personally I would think about up to 250-ish people if horn loaded.

All 2" drivers I'm aware about have no trouble keeping up with 2 x 12" reflex. So the single 12" would be "the" weak link all the way.

Horn loaded ussually limits you to three octaves, which in this case would mean the 240 Hz - 120 Hz area would have gradually lower output as it's shifts from horn loaded to reflex. A single more so than a double. In it's simplest form the solution would be to use 2 x 12" a side. Adding a kick/ lower mid bin for the lowest octave would mean a single 12" is only thermally limited.

Best regards

Cubo

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 10 months ago #15752 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic RE: Horn or Reflex???
Thanks Cubo I was being too optimistic to think that single 12's would be the answer as I currently have 4 SMT212's and use 2 for my smaller gigs at the moment.

Unfortunately, more mature audience members are frightend by them sitting on top of either 2 or 4 cubos. They have the mind set that because of the PA size it is going to be too loud.

I wanted to build some smaller mid top cabs for portability too.

I have decided this weekend to build a pair of single 12 + 2" SMT cabs and see how they perform. I might build reflex cabs for them in the future and see what the two cabs sound like?

Thanks for your help.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds