12 or 15 inch kick horn for 3 way cab

• thepersonunknown
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #15373 by thepersonunknown
12 or 15 inch kick horn for 3 way cab was created by thepersonunknown
hello. i posted asking for advice in a good kick horn to run the lows in a 3 way cab in the bass section the other day but i decided o post this here to get more attention. if this is not an acceptable topic for the general section then i am very sorry will be happy to move this topic to another place.

if you didnt see the other topic then my idea is to design a kick horn for 3 way horn cabs which can play well up to or over 200hz, although not dropping so low (80hz or so), and keep up with a 110db mid section on its own. i could not find anything that realy does this and have decided it would be a great lesson for me to design my own, and hopefully usefull for other people.

[img

im thinking about something like what u see in the not so exact picture. its sure to sound better than most designs in the hight range, and seeing as the horn dont have to play so low the length wont make me have to do such a silly deep cab to be able to fold in this way. the wasted space in the bottom right corner is an attempt to make the front chamber simetric and hopefully keep the preasure on the cone evenish. if i get this to work ill be happy and excited to be able to share it with everyone cos i think this must be something a lot of people would find useful.

please give advivce, im a newb in horn design but im going to dedicate a lot of time to this in the next few months so with a bit of help hopefully ill be able to add a basic outline for a 3 way horn cab to the great designs that people have already shared. i know theirs a lot of people who realy know their stuff and if anyone is intrested in this project then i promise that any intrest will be met with work from my part.

the plan is to make something quite versatile, it would just be a matter of people adding their own mid and high horns. im actualy going to use some old turbo tms ish 10 inch mids but my idea is to make it able to meet quite well with many different combinations. the trick is now going to be getting over 105db@1w out of it, as realy i think over 130db without thrashing it is nessicary. do u guys think it could be good. im skeptical in a way as ive not seen any other plans folded like this. the xtro is the closest thing and it uses 2 drivers and dont play so low. to keep it small i think 12 inch would be best to start simming with. which one should i use as a first basic guide to sim with? it dont need to be too budget, the idea is to get the best possible preformance.
thanks

dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thepersonunknown
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #15375 by thepersonunknown
Replied by thepersonunknown on topic 12 or 15 inch kick horn for 3 way cab
i just had an after thought. the drivers could be loaded on a v baffle to get 2 there, obvioulsy then i would only be able to fit 12 inch drivers, or even 10 inch but it could be a way to get over 130db more easily i just did a rough sketch but for some reason immage shack is not working at the moment so ill post the sketch later if my idea is not clear. the the baffle wouñd run from side to side with the peak in the middle of the cab and the driver side by side

• thepersonunknown
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #15415 by thepersonunknown
no replys. im quite suprised that this topic has had almost no intrest. i would have thought people woild be well interested in this. as i said im a newb in horn design, the only thing ive ever done is sim a bit for replacement drivers, so i do realy need help to do something other than copy someone elses design and do fuk all for the free design comunity in general.

sorry i sounded a bit like a soap box idiot there Tongue. :P

i was playing with horn resp last night, although i didnt have much time and saw that i couldnt get much under 100hz a horn under 90ish cm. i notice this is not case with other designs that are out there. i played with the front and rear chambers a bit but it didnt do much to the f3. am i missing something?

More
12 years 11 months ago #15416 by bee
Replied by bee on topic 12 or 15 inch kick horn for 3 way cab
what is the size of the cab (kick section) depth, height, and width...... there is a topic on hear somewhere where some of the guys were looking at this kind of thing..... ill try and find a link for you......

most guys on hear will lend a hand but it can take a few days to get a reply..... its kinda more chilled hear but the advice people give is spot on.... smiley33

• thepersonunknown
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #15450 by thepersonunknown
hay hay. thanks for the reply. guess i gota shift down a gear, sounds good to me. good things come to thoes who wait right smiley1
the exact dimensions i cant remember, but basicly something like the hd 15, although if it ends up deeper and considerably taller thats no prolem

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds