High current alternative connectors to Speakons

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #11885 by levyte357
Considering 4,6,8mm2 speaker cable is the norm these days, why are speakons still standard?

Typical high output amps have banana/binding posts for bridge o/ps, so why are'nt we using something more conducive to max current transfer, than attempting to stuff 4-6mm2 cable into 8x pole speakons !?

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #11887 by Daz
I know what you mean. I believe it is no longer legal to use 4mm banana plugs? I have seen high current locking mains connectors made by Hubble used. The problem is that the contacts are not shrouded so can pose a shock risk when they are plugged into the amp but detatched from the speaker stack.
I have thought about using those shrouded blue 16 amp single phase or red 3 phase mains power connectors. There is of course the possibility of these being hooked up to the wrong thing and, BANG! Its about time something else was on the marked just for high power speaker systems.

Daz
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Daz.

More
13 years 6 months ago #11890 by NITZ V1505
Replied by NITZ V1505 on topic High current alternative connectors to Speakons
I reckon speakons are fine for their purpose. With power amps with binding posts these are normally wired to speakons on a patchbay. Rated at 30A per contact and 250V max they are all good.

More
13 years 6 months ago #11893 by Daz
I hear you but I dont think it is the contact rating that is the issue. The hard part is getting heavy gauge cable into the connector. Anyone who has tried using anything above 16gauge stuff will have sworn many times attempting to wire up a speakon. I am not convinced of achieving the 30A contact rating when the terminal wont take anything heavier than 2mm cable!
Lots of people are using power amps and LS combinations that would benifit from heavy gauge cable. I try to use the thickest/shortest cable I can get between the amp and speaker. Whats the point of having a 4KW power amp with a damping factor of eleventymillion just to loose the lot over a poor speaker cable system? smiley19

Daz

More
13 years 6 months ago #11909 by NITZ V1505
Replied by NITZ V1505 on topic High current alternative connectors to Speakons

levyte357 wrote: than attempting to stuff 4-6mm2 cable into 8x pole speakons !?

Just read that bit,in future Ill read the whole question!!!!!!

More
13 years 6 months ago #11945 by Daz
No worries mate.

I have a habbit of not reading the manual myself LOL

Daz

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds