Speaker painting whats the best method.

• styla247
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 1 week ago #9400 by styla247
Speaker painting whats the best method. was created by styla247
I've recently built some cubo 15's and I am goin to paint them with black tuff cab paint.
I want to have a textured / splattered finish on the cabs.
What is the best way of achieving this would it be with a roller, brush or spraying it on.
Any answers would be apretiated.
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #9402 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Speaker painting whats the best method.
spray on..... get your first few coat nice and smooth, then for the final coat put on a splatter coat...... you may need to water down you tuffcab paint a bit, so it sprays better out of your gun...... i would mix it 10 parts paint to 2 parts water........

More
14 years 1 week ago #9431 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Speaker painting whats the best method.
The perfect texture paint finnish would be when applied using a pressure pot. You wouldn't have to dilute the paint and the spatter would stay thick without drooping on the box.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 11 months ago #10045 by
something like this tony? does it not require a compressor?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Professional-2-Li ... 45ff669fe9

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #10052 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic Speaker painting whats the best method.
yes, exactly that

like Tony says, because you have force behind the paint, unlike gravity fed etc, you don't have to thin the paint down

for splatter finish you basically turn the air pressure down on the gun while having a little pressure in the pot to push the paint up the tube and and into the gun, now having on minimal pressure (clean air) the paint will spit out rather than in a fan spray

you can adjust the size of the drops (splatter) by decreasing or increasing the gun pressure

I tend to not like over glossy cabs, so all my cabs I use a matt paint, with this you get a matt base coat and when you splatter the top coat, the droplets tend to dry satin/gloss.........my fav
smiley20
if you want a tough coat cab look, then keep repeating the splatter coat, but letting the first splatter coat dry, this will end up looking like the texture of rock

or another way is after the first splatter coat, wait a few minutes then carry on, what happens is, the droplets become one, blend into one, this is a pretty good finish also

even though Tony says no need to thin the paint, I fine a little thinning helps the drying process if you are using a single part paint, I believe Tony is still using 2 pack :sick:
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by mykey-.

More
13 years 11 months ago #10054 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic Speaker painting whats the best method.
you guys are fancy...
I use a nice primer to seal everythin, then i apply a high quality enamel( actually marketed to paint farm equipment) for texture i add a bit of sand (used for safety on floors and stairs, etc) mixed into the enamel. seems to come out nicely, not a commercial look tho.

More
13 years 11 months ago #10060 by tony.a.s.s.
Here's a pick showing enough detail of a spatter finnish, I hope. I guess theoretically, this cab has four coats of paint applied. It used yo be three but I now spatter twice just to give it extra body. There is one undercoat which is Isofiller. This a sanding filler coat and it's the only nibbing that has to be done. The main coat goes straight on and within 20 minutes it's dry enough for spatter. this is done twice. The end result is in the photo.
[attachment=0:ox2wfij9]<!-- ia0 -->DSCF0357.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:ox2wfij9]

Attachments:

More
13 years 11 months ago #10065 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic Speaker painting whats the best method.
what Tony has shown there is what I have described as ROCK texture above, you get this by just repeating, as Tony has said

More
13 years 10 months ago #10388 by allspark7232
Replied by allspark7232 on topic Speaker painting whats the best method.
Hi Tony, where can I get hold of some Isofiller?

More
13 years 10 months ago #10389 by tony.a.s.s.
You need to go to an Automotive paint supplier. They will have it. You can't buy it from B and Q. The supplier we use, which is down the road from us, is Movac.

Time to create page: 0.268 seconds