104db@1w/m Cabinets

• mngati
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #10317 by mngati
104db@1w/m Cabinets was created by mngati
I'm a serious hornplan enthusiast and am looking for all the reasons to justify not spending TOO much money on JBL products (not that I don't like them, they're very expensive). I decided to build the ES-18BPH (by Stipe) using the Paudio C18-650ELF since the woofer is available in South Africa.

According to Stipe a single bin will give 104db@1w/m. If I get 107 using two bins then around 130db is possible at peak level. This is a setup that will cost around US$660 (R4600.00) excluding a poweramp (US$530 for 700w/ch into 8ohms). Please anyone that knows othe plans for C18-650ELF,C15-500LF or the Fane Colossus 18-XB/ Fane sovereign 15-500 make a recommendation for me. Around 105db @1w/m is my target and I will feel comparable to lower level JBL bassbins. Good low frequency is what I'm looking at and I'm also accommodating to ported boxes. Void-1000 and PD1850 aren't easy to find in SA and expensive to import.

Kind Regards

Paul Ngati

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #10321 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic 104db@1w/m Cabinets
Hiya Paul, welcome to the Forum,

As good as the ES cabinet is it is not a sub cab and should be only considered suitable for down to 45hz. Is this OK or are you looking at a cab that goes lower?

Tony

• mngati
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #10329 by mngati
Replied by mngati on topic 104db@1w/m Cabinets
Hi Tony, thanks for your response.

Much lower frequencies will be highly appreciated but still, I'm limited by drivers I've mentioned. If I can get much better results out of any of these drivers, especially Challenger C18-650ELF it will be great. I'm using the cabs for house Music. Your advice is highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Paul

More
13 years 10 months ago #10331 by CuttaBoi
Replied by CuttaBoi on topic 104db@1w/m Cabinets
hello mate, get a list of what drivers you can get at a cheap/reasonable price, will help selecting a cabinet.

Are eminence drivers available to you?

More
13 years 10 months ago #10332 by Xoc1
Replied by Xoc1 on topic 104db@1w/m Cabinets
I have not seen a frequency response curve for these cabinets but I see the quoted response is -3db at 54 Hz.
Bandpass horn cabinets have a poor low frequency response individually, and really don't work properly untill multiple cabinets are coupled together, to increase the size of the horn mouth.
I would think that the ES18BPH probably sounds very impressive in groups of 4 or more boxes, but I would be worried about the low end frequency response with a single pair.
A tapped horn design would give more bottom end response with a small number of cabinets. But the C18-650ELF driver is quite x-max limited at 5mm so not really optimal for a TH design.

• mngati
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #10335 by mngati
Replied by mngati on topic 104db@1w/m Cabinets
Xoc1,

Your response is great thanks. I'm planning to build up to 4 cabs. I'm already impressed with the C18-650EL and already have 2 cabs but my designs are very simple and taken from undefined box volumes. Lots of my enquiries are intended to help me do a more professional job. I'm aware of X-max of 5mm but it's so far pleasing with results and I targets smaller hornplans like the size of ES18 or even smaller (700High x 635Depth x 570Width). If I take value for money into account, I end up going for the 2 X C18 as opposed to 1 X PD1850. C18-650EL costs R1700 (US$242) locally. Importing PD1850 or Void will cost more than 2 x R1700 but they aren't necessarily unaffordable. I will see the some time next year.

Tony

A frequency of down to 45 hetz is good advice- more lessons to my DJ's. This is around specified Fs of 42 for the challenger.

Cutta- I'm afraid of that dog.

Affordable speakers around are: P.Audio: C15-500LF, C18-650ELF, FANE COLOSSUS 18XB and various Hybrid speakers but Hybrid doesn't post T/S parameters but 18H600 is good. We have a PAudio dealer many of their products are available here. Except the Flagship (FL-18ELF) Series though.

Eminence Kappalite 3015, SD18, PD1850, Void1000, DAS 18LXN/18SX and any you may suggest will be second option for me since I'll have to import. Unless there's a big sale around. Import facility is no problem since I buy lots of stuff by paypal.

Paul

More
13 years 10 months ago #10336 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic 104db@1w/m Cabinets
I have heard XB's in these, two cabs ON THEIR SIDES work very well for House Music. Seems to make the perception of throw a litlle less.

More
13 years 10 months ago #10337 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic 104db@1w/m Cabinets
Kappalite's in tapped horns apparently work very well, This may be a really good cost effective solution. Judging from the Martinsson 15" tapped horns that I have just started using they would be a very good all purpose box.
They will even work well as single's, two per side would be very capable.

Tony

More
13 years 10 months ago #10338 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic 104db@1w/m Cabinets

nickyburnell wrote: I have heard XB's in these, two cabs ON THEIR SIDES work very well for House Music. Seems to make the perception of throw a litlle less.

Sorry, I meant two stacks like this, ie 4 cabs

More
13 years 10 months ago #10339 by Xoc1
Replied by Xoc1 on topic 104db@1w/m Cabinets
Paul
I would suggest that you might be better off looking at the Cubo 18 design.
There is some info on the C18650EL on the Cubo 18 thread.
This should give a decent bass response with a small number of cabinets.
Only problem with most of the tapped horn designs is their lack of high frequency extension, you need a 12" mid or bigger to meet their upper frequency limit (for the cubo 18" this is quoted as 110hz).
The ES18BPH bandpass horn design will give a higher frequency bandwidth, but is really suitable for larger rigs, think Turbosound & Funktion one!

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds